Monday, October 20, 2008

Detroit Half Marathon


Not the fastest run, but considering it was my first run over 10 miles-- I am pretty happy with it. It also gives me something to beat for a PR--


While crossing over the ambassador bridge, I overhear two guys talking to eachother--

"So we're getting married- I am marrying you"

"we're moving to California"

"then we're having a baby"

Mile 4-- Recall that I left my advil gel caps in my purse at home. Look of horror sweeps my face. I glance to the right and see the staff photographer snapping away. I am sure that one will be lovely.

Mile 5.8 running into Canada from the bridge--a rumpled hair weave laying on the ground. There is one hot mess running around ahead of me.
The day could not have been more beautiful. Running along the river in Canada and looking over at the Detroit skyline on clear fall day was priceless. So was the fact that I didn't have to pee and the line for the porta potties was 6 deep.

Jon, Laurel, Abby and Jason were hunting for a parking space and scrambling to try and meet me at the 9 mile mark-- unfortunately, they weren't able to get there in time. Met up with them at the finish area- and was able to snap a few pictures.
Overall it was a great race, although next year I think GR would be better considering it's less of a challenge for spectators.
Now, let the training really begin. I need to add a counter for the Phoenix marathon-- time is slipping away from me.


christophertadhankins said...

Looks like you're in Grand Rapids? It would be fun to get together some time. Me and the family will be over there for Halloween with my sister in EGR, then heading to EL for the MSU/Wisconsin game on Saturday.
Did you get involved with the Reeds Lake Triathlon at all? Ann and I both raced in that one back in September...
How's your family?

Pope Corky IX said...

Hey Chris--
left a note for you on your blog. It would be nice to have the families meet up!

Oh yes, I had the unfortunate experience of participating in the RLT. I have to cut myself some slack--it was only my 2nd tri ever. All I can say is this- my swim was mediocre at best and that was the high point in the race. Didn't know that my breaks were rubbing the entire 18 miles up and down Fulton on my MOUNTAIN bike. So frazzled by the fact that my legs were jello and the bike took me an HOUR that I left T2 WITH my bike helmet ON--- oh, yes-- I was a catastrophe. I think I'd like to do another one next summer though. I need to redeem myself.
Family is good- bro is in Tahoe, sis is in No. Cal. Dad is in Ada with Stepmom- Mom is in FL-- great places to visit!